By Kim Goldstein with Journeys Inc.
Wedding planning is fun, but it also can be stressful at times. However, the honeymoon is the only part of all the planning that is just for the wedding couple! It’s the beginning of your new life together, and in many cases, this is the first large scale trip that the two of you have planned.
It’s important to communicate expectations with your partner. Relying on internet research alone can lead to disappointments upon arrival at the resort, as the pictures aren’t necessarily indicative of what the place truly looks like. Using a professional travel consultant, who specializes in honeymoons, will help ensure that you’re selecting a resort that matches budget and expectations.
Follow this timeline for a flawless stress free getaway!
10 Months Before
- Create a wish list of what’s important for the honeymoon.
- Discuss the budget with your partner.
- Determine travel dates and request the time off work. Make sure you take note of major holidays near your travel dates.
- Determine the top three locations and decide if any places should not be on the list.
9 Months Before
- Contact a professional travel consultant for guidance. Most don’t charge fees; it’s worth giving it a shot!
- Request a complimentary honeymoon quote from your travel consultant.
- Book the hotel and airfare.
- Purchase travel insurance.
6 Months Before
- Apply for a passport or renew it if it has expired.
- Check to see if any visas or vaccinations are needed for the trip.
3 Months Before
- Book any tours, spa or dinner reservations that can be made in advance.
2 Months Before
- Shop for any clothes needed for the honeymoon.
- Make sure to have a good camera to capture all those special moments!
2 Weeks Before
- Ensure you’ve received travel documents and review all the provided information. Put the passports with the travel documents.
- Double-check the seats on the airplane, and make sure your contact information is on the airline’s website in case they need to contact you for any last-minute schedule changes.
- Scan a copy of the passports and email them to yourself and your travel consultant.
- Exchange currency, if necessary.
- Pack baggage before you get too busy with the wedding!
1 Day Before
- Check-in on the airline’s website and print boarding passes.
- Ensure your passport, any medications, and valuables are in the carry-on bag. Bring a pen for filling out paperwork.
- Ensure you have any necessary paperwork needed to enter your destination.
With our tips, we’ll help you have the perfect honeymoon with your new spouse. Staying organized is key! And with a professional travel consultant’s help, all you’ll have to worry about is enjoying a drink by the beach!
Kim Goldstein is a Top 25 Travel Agent as awarded by Travel Agent Magazine, a Certified Destination Wedding and Honeymoon Specialist, as well as a Wedding Wire Couples Choice Recipient and Richmond A-List Winner since 2014. To learn more about how she can help plan your dream honeymoon or destination wedding, please visit www.journeystravelinc.com.