By Angela Simpson
“Day-Of Coordination” has become a popular industry term, but it is truly misleading! I don’t know any planners or coordinators who would just show up on the day of your wedding!
Truth be told, a day-of planner steps in between four to six weeks prior to your wedding date. At this point, you have planned your wedding for the most part. You’ve pinned your ideas, interviewed and hired your vendors, and gone to design meetings, tastings, fittings; the list goes on and on. Now you need a seasoned professional to implement those plans.
So, what will a “day-of” planner do for you in the month or so before your wedding?
- Offer ongoing advice and vendor recommendations
- Get in touch with all of your vendors, become familiar with their services and collect their contact information
- Create a timeline for the wedding day
- Do a walk through at the venue to determine logistics and setup
- Attend and coordinate your wedding rehearsal from start to finish
- Be the first to arrive at the venue on your wedding day, set up your personal items, manage the flow of your entire day, and be the point of contact for all parties involved
- Assist in packing up your personal belongings at the end of the night
After doing all these items, the approximate time a “Month-Of” planner invests in your wedding day is about 25-30 hours.
Herein lies the challenge: how do you decipher between planner packages? First, ask a lot of questions. Request a breakdown of what each package includes. Know your needs and wants versus what they will offer. Ask for professional references and review testimonials from previous clients. The bottom line is you’ve got to do your homework and make sure it’s all covered in the contract.
When you begin envisioning your wedding day, should you decide to not hire a full service wedding planner, please hire a professional coordinator to ensure a stress free day for yourself and your family and friends. Remember, you deserve it!
Angela Simpson is the Owner and Lead Coordinator of XOXO Weddings and Events, LLC, a Day-Of Wedding Coordination firm serving all of Virginia. To learn more about XOXO Weddings and Events, LLC, please visit www.xoxoweddingsandeventsllc.com.