Groom’s Guide to Wedding Day Success
By Stephen Jenkins with Alton Lane
Your wedding day will be one of the biggest days of your life…groom included! On your monumental day you want to be prepared, no matter the hiccup! With the help of this list, you’ll have a few guidelines to make sure you’re set up for complete wedding day success!
- Make sure your suit fits. Do a test run (all the way down to your matching socks) at least two weeks before the wedding day. More pictures will be taken of you than ever before. Take the time to steam and press your suit, and be sure to remember all the details!
RW TIP: Consider spending the money for a custom suit. Brides spend thousands of dollars on their dress, so treat yourself! You’ll look like a million bucks. Plus you’ll have an amazing suit that will last you for years to come.
- Get a haircut.
- Plan an activity for the morning of. Consider planning something physical for you and your guys to do the morning of your big day. Maybe a jog, a basketball game, or a quick round of golf! This will help you calm your wedding-day jitters and will be the last minute bonding time with your closest friends.
- Rehearse your vows. It’s important to practice actually saying your vows out loud. Like an actor rehearsing lines, try reciting what you’re going to say in front of a mirror. Maybe you can bring in your best man to lend an ear to your heartfelt vows.
- Check that the rings are in the right place at the right time.
Be the rock your spouse needs.
- Write a special note on the day of your wedding. Let your spouse know that you are thinking of them on this big day. Say something sweet that will make them smile while they’re getting ready.
- Take as much as you can off your spouse’s plate. Find little ways to make the day easier for them. Maybe it’s paying the vendors or making sure the gifts get to the right place once the party is over. Delegate tasks to your groomsmen! Many hands make for light work!
- Spend some time alone with your spouse. Make time for you two to bask in this monumental moment. You two are starting your life together, a moment of solace from the excitement will be special and a time you both will cherish for years to come.
- Hire a cleaning service for your house. No one wants to come home to a messy house. Surprise your spouse with a clean home after a hectic wedding weekend. Maybe stock the fridge too!
- Take some alone time for yourself on your wedding day. You are changing your way of life, so revel in the enormity of it! Take a deep breath, bringing yourself to the moment.
Your wedding day will be one of the most exciting, hectic, and wonderful days of your life. Together with your closest family and friends, you’ll celebrate the ending of one part of your life, and the exciting start of the next. With these tips, you’ll be on the right track for wedding day success and all you’ll have to worry about is marrying the love of your life.
Stephen H. Jenkins is a Style Consultant at Alton Lane, based out of Richmond, Virginia. Alton Lane offers premium menswear with luxury fabrics and custom fits. Stephen has earnestly crafted his approach to styling with 3 anchors: confidence, classical elegance, and timeless presence. Be sure to visit www.altonlane.com or call 804-787-3584 to schedule an appointment. Feature Photo Credit: Virginia Ashley Photography.