The Honeymooners: Unique Destinations!
By: Kim Goldstein with Journeys Inc.
Each honeymooner has a vision of what they expect in a resort. In order to ensure that you select the right resort for your honeymoon, it’s important you don’t believe everything you read online. Pictures and reviews can be fake and unrealistic.
Start with a genuine vision of your expectations, and make sure it aligns with your budget. Talk to your fiancé and identify the type of resort you want. Make sure you know what the “deal breakers” are prior to starting your honeymoon research!
- Kim’s Travel Tip: Do you want to focus on adults-only, all-inclusive resorts or are you okay with families around? There’s a big difference in the vibe of each of these types of resorts. Make sure you both agree on this one!
If this is your first time or your 100th time planning a major trip, it’s always best to work with a travel agent who specializes in romance travel including destination weddings and honeymoons. Most travel agents provide excellent service, product knowledge, and valuable info without charging additional fees. Oftentimes, you will pay less when working with a travel agent because they know some special tricks to receive excellent rates including reduced deposits, payment plans, etc.
- Kim’s Travel Tip: Identify the must haves and make sure your budget supports them. Most all-inclusive resorts along with airfare from the east coast start at approximately $1,800-2,000 per person for five nights on average, depending on the time of year and resort.
Once you’ve figured out the basics, now you can dream BIG! Private pools, soaking tubs, romantic luxurious suites, excellent food, local tours, and fantastic ocean views are some of the biggest requests from honeymooners. The resorts are pushing the limits for creating the most unique honeymoon experiences.
- Kim’s Travel Tip: Is the type of resort more important than the destination? So often people say they don’t want to go to a certain destination. When I try to understand what they don’t like about that destination, they just say, “My friends said not to go there” when, in actuality, that destination may be the perfect fit based on what they’re looking for and their budget. Be open to your options!
Most unique honeymoon suites in Mexico & the Caribbean:
- Sandals LaSource Grenada is one of the best destinations for having extremely unique suites. Whether it’s a Skypool suite overlooking the Caribbean Sea, a Rondoval with a private pool, an outdoor jacuzzi, or an outdoor shower, this place has them all. These suites offer butler service, which means someone will attend to your every need including making dining reservations, reserving seats by the pool or beach, and surprising you with a bubble bath with rose petals along with a bottle of champagne.
- Sandals Royal Caribbean and Sandals Grande St. Lucian are some of the first to offer over the water villas in the Caribbean. These over the water villas are extremely luxurious and some even feature private pools. The resorts are much closer and more reasonable then French Polynesia. You can leave the east coast on a morning flight and have the butler serve lunch in your over the water villa.
Glass floor panels with lighting allow you to view the world below you at all times. Lounge in the over the water hammocks while your butler handles each detail of the honeymoon so you can relax and enjoy the gorgeous Caribbean waters right below.
- Palafitos at El Dorado Maroma in Mexico offers another fabulous over the water bungalow experience with exquisite views and excellent food options. Each Palafito includes an outdoor shower, private infinity pool, and glass bottom floors. Don’t miss the over the water spa and restaurant!
- Jade Mountain in St. Lucia features a three-walled room so that your views are not obstructed. The stunning view of St Lucia’s mountains, the Pitons, is truly breathtaking. Relax in your own plunge pool with a glass of champagne and watch the world go by!
If these types of suites don’t fit what you’re looking for in a honeymoon, there are tons of great options of beautiful rooms with great ocean views, soaking tubs, and swim up suites offered at a lower price point. Talk to a travel agent to figure out the perfect destination for you!
Kim Goldstein is a certified destination wedding & honeymoon specialist at Journeys Inc. To learn more about how she can help plan your dream honeymoon or destination wedding, please visit www.kimgoldstein.com.